On Thursday, September 21st, 2023, Catalyst of San Diego and Imperial Counties brought participants to an immersive, overnight experience in Imperial Counties to provide a comprehensive understanding of the impacts of environmental and climate issues including health disparities, job and infrastructure opportunities, community leadership, and more.
Over the course of the two days, participants engaged in informative discussions, toured areas including Calipatria, the Salton Sea, and Calexico, and spoke with community members to delve into the heart of the region’s challenges, hopes, and visions.
Join us on future trips by staying up to date with our upcoming events and utilize the below resources to learn more about the topics we discovered.
- Why Geothermal Energy is Being Viewed as a Viable Alternative to Fossil Fuels
- Geothermal as a New Colonization
- Joint Environmental Scoping Meeting and Informational Hearing: This is a 4 ½ hour zoom, BUT at 2:15 through 2:28, you can hear the start of conversations about concerns from tribal communities, including Carmen Lucas, an 88-year-old Kwaaymii Laguna Band member, who shares her concerns about the development of geothermal plans.
- Lithium Valley Blog: An assortment of resources, sharing on-the-ground developments and stories in the pursuit of lithium extraction in Southern California
- As the Salton Sea Shrinks, Agriculture’s Legacy Turns to Dust
- El Centro Regional Medical Center is in Financial Trouble