- This event has passed.
Mission Investing Institute and Action Cohorts
Tuesday, May 18, 2021 - Wednesday, June 30, 2021
Join Philanthropy California for the Mission Investing Institute and Action Cohorts, a six-month virtual learning program presented by Mission Investors Exchange and in partnership with National Center for Family Philanthropy. This learning opportunity will deepen your knowledge in impact investing, build relationships with leaders in philanthropy, and provide practical tools to implement an effective impact investing strategy. Beginning October 19, 2021, this experience is designed to help philanthropy professionals gain exposure to approaches that will help them get started in impact investing and advance their practice.
Through a core curriculum, supplemented with three small group cohorts, participants will hear from industry peers, apply the learnings with fellow philanthropy and finance professionals, and learn from seasoned investors in the field. Sessions will cover topics including, but not limited to:
- Introduction to Impact Investing & the Spectrum of Capital
- The Equity Imperative
- Governance & Program Design
- Activating your Portfolio for Impact
- Impact Measurement, Management & Reporting
- Investment Across Asset Classes
- Pipeline & Diligence
- Resources & Implementation (cohorts focus)
This program has limited availability, so interested participants are encouraged to apply early. Applications open on May 18, 2021, and close on June 30, 2021. They will be evaluated on a rolling basis and will be considered based on the ability to commit to the sessions and your cohort, your role and type of foundation, and the overall mix of the applicants, with a goal of offering three diverse, yet cohesive cohorts.
For additional information, please see the schedule and FAQ tabs.
If you have additional questions about the program or application process, please contact Phuong Pham at [email protected].
Learning Sessions and Action Cohorts
Please note the dates and times are subject to change and will be confirmed in the coming months. Each Learning Session and Action Cohort is expected to run for approximately 1.5-2 hours midday for most time zones (e.g., 12:30-2:30 PM ET). Action Cohorts will meet on the day following each Learning Session, or shortly thereafter.
Week 1: October 19-20, 2021
Fundamentals of Impact Investing: In this kick-off session, get to know your peers as we embark on a collective six-month journey. Learn about the fundamentals of impact investing, including terms and definitions, the different types of capital that may be at your disposal, and an overview of asset classes and potential uses. Work with peers to explore aspirations for yourself and your organization at the onset of the Institute.
Week 2: November 16-17, 2021
Investing with a Racial Equity Lens: How do you build and implement an impact investing program with a racial equity lens? Learn how to shape your impact investing program to include inclusive policies and practices, such as utilization of diverse fund managers. Explore how to invest in a way that advances equitable outcomes. Learn about key principles that will carry through the rest of the Institute.
Week 3: December 7-8, 2021
Designing Your Investment Program: Discover practical tools to help design your program. Explore staffing and governance questions to understand what will best meet the needs of your foundation. Work with peers to begin building an impact thesis to define your goals, taking into account the realities of existing assets, mission, and capacity.
Week 4: January 25-26, 2022
Investment Program Strategy: Learn how to use different asset classes and investment tools to create a portfolio that supports your foundation’s goals. Hear from seasoned investors on how they developed their impact investing strategy, including what they hope to achieve and how they are organizing their capital.
Week 5: February 15-16, 2022
Operationalizing Your Impact Investing Program: Learn how to translate your program strategy into action. Discuss the iterative process and considerations of deal sourcing, due diligence, portfolio management, impact measurement, managing to change, and evaluation of your impact investing program.
Week 6: March 15-16, 2022
Impact Activation: What next steps do you need to take to activate your strategy? Discuss legal considerations, internal dynamics, and other practical considerations as you embark on starting, changing, or expanding your program.
Who should attend?
- This program is created for foundation leaders who are new to an existing impact investing program at their foundations or are considering creating an impact investing program at their foundations.
- C-Suite (CEOs, CFOs/CIOs, Chiefs of Strategy), Trustees, Executive Directors.
- Mid-level professionals directly involved in or building impact investing programs.
- Also welcome to apply: Representatives from large nonprofit endowments, family offices, corporations, or community foundations who are working in impact investing.
- The Institute and accompanying Action Cohorts require a high level of commitment from participants. Three cohorts of approximately 20 people each will work together over six months, therefore those wishing for an extensive and action-oriented experience are highly encouraged to apply.
What can I expect as a program participant? How will the program be structured?
The Institute will include two monthly interactive sessions (1 Learning Session & 1 Action Cohort), from October 2021 through March 2022. Although each session will be adapted slightly to best support the material, they will include the following components:
- Learning sessions will typically include two 15-20 minute learning presentations from experts in the field, an opportunity for Q&A, and interactive break-out sessions. Learning sessions will run for 2-hours, with a short break. Only the formal presentation components of the session are expected to be recorded.
- Action Cohort sessions will include an opportunity to reflect on learnings, with most of the time dedicated to a hands-on workshop activity, deeper dive on a case study, or “Ask an Expert” segment for more intimate Q&A with the Learning Session speaker or other resource provider. Each session will also include an opportunity to meet with Accountability Partner Teams. Action Cohort sessions will run for 90 minutes and will not be recorded.
How do I register?
- Before you register, please complete an application. Information provided will allow us to verify eligibility and place attendees into an Action Cohort that fits their needs: Upon notification of acceptance you will receive an email with instructions on how to register for the program, including payment of the registration fee.
- The application deadline is June 30, 2021.
- All applicants will be notified of their acceptance by August 8, 2021.
- The final registration deadline is September 8, 2021.
What should I expect in the evaluation of my application?
Interested individuals can apply here and applications will be approved based on pre-established factors including:
- Ability to commit to an intensive virtual program.
- Foundation type, with preference to family and private foundations.
- Role at your organization, including the ability to advocate or influence the creation or expansion of an impact investing program.
- Level of experience, i.e., those new to foundations with existing programs or foundations with high likelihood of developing a new impact investing program.
- The overall pool of applicants, with the goal of creating cohesive Action Cohorts.
- Geographic and racial diversity across the program.
When will I know if my application is accepted?
- Applicants will be notified of their acceptance on a rolling basis and no later than August 8, 2021. Upon acceptance, applicants will receive instructions to help them register for this program.
- Applicants will be requested to either register or decline their acceptance by September 8, 2021.
- Any applicants who are declined will be added to the waiting list and notified by September 10th if an opening in an Action Cohort becomes available.
How much does it cost to participate?
- Members of Mission Investors Exchange, the National Center for Family Philanthropy, and Philanthropy California can register for a fee of $2,000.
- The non-member registration fee is $3,000.
- Limited scholarships are available upon request. If you would like to inquire about scholarships please contact Phuong Pham at [email protected].
What if I can no longer attend the program? Is there a transfer policy for this event?
- The deadline for cancellation refunds is September 15, 2021. After this date, no refunds can be issued. Cancellations are subject to a 1.9% processing fee. All cancellations MUST be submitted in writing and emailed to Zineb Touzani at [email protected]. Individuals who need to cancel are encouraged to transfer their registration to another eligible attendee. The substitution deadline is September 15, 2021. Please email all substitution requests to [email protected]rs.org.