We invite our members to join United Philanthropy Forum’s Philanthropy Day of Action on October 4, 2023 in support of the Charitable Act (S.566/H.R. 3435). This unique opportunity presents a chance for us to lend our voice to an issue that directly impacts our work as a sector and the communities we serve.
Charitable giving dropped 10.5 percent in 2022, only the fourth time donations have fallen since 1956. Additionally, charitable giving as a share of personal disposable income dropped to 1.7 percent – a near 30-year low.
Participate in the Philanthropy Day of Action:
- On October 4th, advocate in support of the Charitable Act by calling, writing, or posting on social media to ask your Members of Congress to co-sponsor the bill.
- Use the Forum’s Advocate Action Center to send a pre-written email to your lawmakers in less than five minutes
- If your legislators already co-sponsored the bill, thank them on social media and urge them to ask their colleagues to join them as a co-sponsor, using the hashtags #PhilanthropyDayOfAction and #CharitableAct
- Use this Day of Action Resource Kit to help you reach lawmakers via social media on October 4th.
- Consider writing an op-ed for your local newspaper about why your legislator should support this bill.
- If you’ve already asked your lawmakers to support the Charitable Act, follow up to confirm their commitment.